Monday, June 28, 2010

ISTE Article 6

Splicing Video into the Writing Process
Tammy Pandina Scot and Diane Harding

This video explains how using videos in classroom activities incorporates content and writing skills while at the same time, developing technologically savvy students. What struck me the most was that back in the day, communication was simply writing and speaking. But now, children are expected to learn to communicate through pictures, still and moving. Videos require students to be both writers of the film and producers. I remember in middle school and high school and our teachers had us make plays to correlate with our reading material. I never had to make a video throughout all of K-12. Now I'm watching video productions from children in elementary school and it is seriously so mind blowing to see how far technology has come.

Q1) What topics could I cover and have the students produce videos for?
I love the idea of real life math problems. Like going to the grocery store and figuring out how much grapes would cost. For example, if they are selling for $0.99 a pound, how many pounds would I be able to purchase for 6 dollars. This way, students would realize math is all around them and it is relevant to their every day lives.

Q2) What challenges would I face in incorporating a lesson like this?
Considering that I want to be a math teacher, access to enough computers is going ot be difficult. Most math classes do not come equipped with a computer lab and so editing and actual producing would be difficult.


Harding, D. & Scot, P. (2004). Splicing video into the writing process. Learning and Leading with Technology Journal 37 (7)

No comments:

Post a Comment